About Bicycle Machines
- Bicycle machines, bicimacinas, use the strength of leg power which is 5 times greater than that of the upper body.
- They are made out of of bicycle parts, wood and cement. Therefore, the technology is widely accessible, easy to use and repair, and are environmentally responsible.
- A large income gap exists between advanced industrial societies and rural areas of developing countries. Pedal powered machines help bridge the gap.
- Bike machines are providing alternatives to traditional labor; improving the work capacity of the local people
Benefits of Bicycle Technology
- Availability of Resources
– Bicycles are used and available all over the world, in developed and developing countries.
– Most of the tools and parts needed to make bicycle repairs are
basic and accessible.
– Bicycles are mainly made of materials that can be welded
- Low initial cost
– Bicycle machines cost less to build or buy than other types of
– In most cases, a bicimaquina is not going to be used all day, therefore the costs can be shared with other groups, family members, etc.
- Intermediate Technology
– Bicycle technology fills the gap between industrial technology and agricultural technology.
- Help for economic growth of families
– Bicycle machines can allow a family to generate their own income.
- Personal benefits include improved cardiovascular health.
The Bicycle Machines/Bicimaquinas
This machine has two functions, it can be adapted to fit either a manual mill or a corn sheller (one can operated at a time.) The mill has the capacity to grind 3 pounds per minute. It is used most frequently to grind corn, soybeans and coffee beans, as well as to manufacture concentrates for animals. The sheller is used after harvesting and shells up to 15 quintals of grain (1 quintal = 100 lbs.) per day.
This is a simple kitchen blender that can mix fruit smoothies, vegetable puree, and grains. It reaches 2700 RPM. A family could sell smoothies at a park, soccer field, or festivals! You can also work out without paying for a gym! In the case of the women’s groups they produce shampoos with the bicilicuadoras, using natural extracts.
The pump supplies drinking and irrigation water in rural communities. It has the capacity to pump 5-10 gallons per minute from a well with a depth of 30 meters (maximum).
This machine produces the necessary vibrations to force the air bubbles out of the concrete mass that will be a tile. This cement mass that is molded into tiles can be used to build ceilings that have a long life duration (20-30 years) and are waterproof. The tiles look nice, are durable, and create better insulation than metal roofs. Its production is cheap, so it is a good product for small businesses. Qualified persons can produce up to 400 roof tiles per day.
This machine removes the outer husk of the coffee bean, allowing small farmers to sell their own grains and receive a higher value for their product. It has the capacity to process up to 400 pounds in one hour.
This machine charges a 12-volt battery with 75W to use for lights.
This machine has the capacity to grind nixtamal for approximately 30 families per day. It can also be used to grind large quantities of other foods, such as beans, chocolate, peanuts, etc.
* Nixtamal is the word for “masa” – corn used to make tortillas.
This machine eliminates the outer layer of macadamia nuts, at 400 pounds per hour. We are still working to improve the design to work with a greater variety of sizes.
This machine can be used to wash clothes and works similarly to a regular washing machine.
This machine is operated by hand to cultivate, remove weeds, and loosen the soil. It can be pushed like a wheelbarrow.
A prototype tool for wood craftsmen that helps to save time, money and materials.
NOTE: We are currently working on a design for this machine